Saturday, September 27, 2008

Moments to savor

I spent Friday and Saturday helping to take care of my mom who is in her nineties. She is completely bedridden and has limited ability to communicate at this point. She has been an avid fan of Mystic Harmony and so I wanted her to hear what we've been working on. I played her several reference tracks from our upcoming Christmas CD. I could really see the light in her eyes as she listened and took it all in. There was a real change in her demeanor--something in her began to relax and deeply rest. And there was a lightness to it as well, her spirits really lifted for the rest of the afternoon and evening.

One of the things we always talk about in Mystic Harmony is the hope that our arrangements will bring a soothing and healing effect on the listener but it still amazes me when I see it happening right in front of me. Later, some of the hospice workers arrived and were working with my mom while the music was playing. They kept asking about the music and where it came from. One of them began to smile and dance around when our "Wassail Jig" started to play. It really tickled me to see them all enjoying it so much. My fervent prayer is that the rest of our fans will be as delighted!

Next week I'll be posting about studio time with guest artist, Tina Chancey, who will be playing several different instruments on our CD. ~Mary Anne

1 comment:

Kim Thiboldeaux said...

Your music - from its unique and blended instruments and voices - are truly inspirational. I know that, as I listened to your last performance, I had goose bumps practically the entire concert!

I can't think of any other group that installs such hope as Mystic Harmony. Keep making that glorious music!